Friday, December 12, 2008

Update on Chemo Delay

Today Vince went to the doctor so that he could determine when Vince will be having chemo. He did blood work and checked him over, decided to test him for "Mono", and said that he wants to see him on Tuesday of next week. He changed his antibiotic to a stronger one, in hopes of helping him to feel better. I ask Vince every day how he is feeling (of course because I'm a paranoid mother..hahaha) and he always says things like...uhh...my back hurts, but not that bad...or uhhh I have a headache, can I have some Tylenol....BUT, only until two days ago did he tell me that his tonsils were swollen and inflamed...and that he has a bump on the side of his neck (swollen gland) and that it hurts to turn his head for the past week or so! He said he always feels like maybe it's not real, so he ignores it. I am trying to teach him to let me know these things so that we can "nip it in the bud" so to speak, but, that is just something we are going to have to "pry" out of him, I guess:) The doctor said that if Vince isn't feeling 100% better by Tuesday that he may just skip this chemo session all together and just go directly into the radiation treatments, so that the surgery will be able to get done as soon as possible. Vince was SO EXCITED about that! The doctor said that he was very happy with the treatment thus far, and said that if Vince isn't feeling good on Tuesday, that it would be torture for him to have the chemo since it will deplete his white cells quite a bit anyway, and to have him sick on top of it wouldn't be good for him whatsoever. So, when he goes back on Tuesday, our bags will be packed for the hospital, just in case he is doing 100% better and we will go straight into the hospital from there. Vince is hoping that maybe...just maybe he won't feel quite so great or at least not 100%...LOL! Anything to get out of that chemo...not that I can really blame him! Here is a photo of Vince on his computer the other night....this is when I realized how sensitive his eyes were to light! Duh!!!
So, today was a very good day for us..especially since Bernadette, Vince and I got a laugh of a lifetime when I ran into the elevator door that was closing and bumped my arm on it and then we got the giggles with 10 other people who didn't find it one bit funny!!! We ran out of the elevator and laughed our heads off walking through the UCLA square! I haven't heard either one of them laugh that hard EVER! Bernadette can't even look at me now without laughing! Of course it was at my expense, but hey...I'd do ANYTHING to make my son laugh!!! That was our joy for the day!

Psalm 119:93
I will never forget your commandments, for you have used them to restore my
joy and health.

Psalm 126:3
Yes, the LORD has done amazing things for us! What
joy!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Hi Ronda! I love your updates. You give such a good visual : ) Your elevator escapade sounds exactly like something I would do with my boys! I love making them laugh! Ok, so the dilemma...do I pray for Vince to be 100% for the chemo or not? How about I just pray for whatever is best for him : ) You are an awesome, incredible, strong mom!! Keep up the great work and let Vince know that we think he's even cooler now that we know he's a Mac guy!! Have a great weekend! Love, Debbie