Saturday, September 27, 2008

Expect The Unexpected

Ok..from here on out I am going to ride the roller coaster of life with my seat belt securely fastened and a Bible in my hand! Each day for us is feeling like "Ground Hog Day"...feels like we keep living the same day over and over again! Vince had his bone scan yesterday, which by the way, was the best day yet, as far as pain was concerned...I think part of that was because Mikemo came with us to get the scan, which helped Vince to take his mind off of himself for a few hrs. We got there in 45 mins. (no traffic at 10:30 a.m. which was shortly after they cleared a 9 car pile up at our off ramp) so we were blessed by that alone! We arrived and Vince got his radioactive injection that lights up his bones, but it takes two hours to take effect, so Vince, Mikemo and I decided to go the cafeteria at the beautiful UCLA Westwood Campus and sit for the two hrs. It was really nice to see them laughing and watching skate videos on Vince's computer while I read a book.
After the scan, Vince came out and told us they found a spot on his pelvis, which is where a lot of these Ewing's Sarcomas start...but, he proceeds to inform us that because he was full of the radioactive material, that when he used the restroom prior to the scan, he dribbled on his boxers and it was reading that on the scan! Mom's of boys and all those men out there and their wives who do the laundry (LOL!), I'm sure will relate to that one!!! They made him take them off and "clean up" and re-did the scan and he said that it was clean! LOL! Disclaimer: Vince gave me permission to print this story:) LOL!

Last night about 12 hrs. after the scan, Vince's arm was swelling so much and he decided to call Dr. Tap. He told us to go to the E.R. at UCLA Santa Monica and get an ultrasound and an x-ray to see if he had a blot clot or a fracture. We got there at 3:15 a.m. where they proceeded with the necessary tests and they did not find anything. They said they have never seen this type of swelling before. They called Dr. Tap and he basically said that he needs to start chemo as soon as possible, but I am assuming he will start Tues. (he has an appt. @ 9:00 a.m) or Wed. He has one more test to complete on Monday, which is the bone marrow biopsy and we have to be at UCLA Santa Monica Hospital at 5:30 a.m. with the procedure to start at 7:30 a.m. Again, Ground Hog Day! We got home at 7:15 a.m. today and I have only had about 4 hrs. of sleep, but it's amazing how adrenaline works! God has been so good to us and protected us through all of this and I am so grateful! I just count each day for what it is and you never know what the next minute brings with it. For now, here are my top five things I've learned in the past 3 weeks:

1. It is possible to get to the emergency room at UCLA Santa Monica in 28 mins. flat, if you are driving 90 miles an hr. at 3:00 a.m.

2. Always make sure you have water, some snacks, pain meds, pillows, a book and your make up packed at all times (and don't forget your eyebrow pencil!)

3. Parking on the street because you are trying to save $17 for parking everyday isn't worth it when the parking ticket you received is $47!!

4. Make sure you bring your Bible with you so when your friends text you a verse without writing it out, you can look it up and say "I needed that!"

And the most important one:
5. Always bring a friend or loved one with you for support!

Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
Thank you Jennifer, for this verse:) Love you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah vince go on and beat that bad-ass desease! Maybe the passing of johnny romano helps you gather some strength. hope to see you back skating soon!

get well!

Melody said...

Hey Ronda, One practical parking tip that Anneke & I learned last year with Joey at UCLA was to buy the monthly pass, I don't know if you did that yet, but they will also refund you a days parking towards it if you have your receipt. It was well worth it & saved us a lot of $$$. You guys are on my mind daily & I am lifting you up. Love You, Melody

Unknown said...

Ronda...it is amazing that you are able to have the perspective you do. I am encouraged and reminded that I need to suck it up. I would be pretty grumpy if I was doing what you were. Continuing to pray.
mark