Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Got The Diagnosis Today

Today Vince had to have the port for chemo put into his chest today around 4 pm, a quick surgery done under anesthesia, at UCLA Westwood. We were home by 6:20 pm and Vince's port is on the left side of his chest, just under his collar bone (it's swollen and the size of a tennis ball cut in half). The dr. described it like putting a stack of quarters in there, looks more like a stack of silver dollars if you ask me..lol! Now his right arm and his left arm are both pretty much hurting. He is on some very strong drugs, Morphine and Vicodin and they barely numb his pain, so what does that tell you? Poor guy! The dr. said after chemo starts to shrink the tumor, that's when he should get some relief from the bone pain, and he can't wait!

On the way home Vince paged the dr. to ask him to increase his pain meds, which he did, and after he hung up, I asked Vince "so what did he say?" and he said, "he told me I have Ewing's Sarcoma." That was not what I was ready to hear, it was a surreal moment as I was driving on the 405 at 5 pm...thinking...."wow, did I just hear what I thought I heard?" Then Vince says, "I'm getting my a-- kicked!" I said, "now it's your turn to kick it's a--!" (pardon my language here, but it was shocking to hear it confirmed) So that's how we got the diagnosis today, but even though it's now confirmed and it's not the one we would have chosen for him between the two, at least now he is ready for chemo. He does have a few other tests to do before he starts. Tomorrow (Th) he will have a heart ultrasound at 8:45 a.m. in Westwood and then 9:30 a.m. he will have his staples removed in Santa Monica. Friday he is going to have a bone scan and I think on Monday he will have a bone marrow biopsy. So please continue to pray as each day has it's own trials. It changes moment by moment.

Vince is waking me up a few times a night in pain and I massage his back for about an hour at a time, then Bernadette takes her turn. It's so hard on him, but he is tough and we will all get through this together! Until my next blog, please stay safe and stay healthy and get your flu shot! We are all going to get ours so that Vince is protected and able to stay as healthy as possible! Again, I am extremely grateful to everyone reading this blog, and please know that YOU are an important part of Vince's healing (and ours as a family) Please feel free to email me at rondacapaldi@msn.com or leave a comment on this blog! We love to read them! God bless!

P.S. I have permission to use this photo! LOL! I would also like to welcome the Skater community! Thanks for checking on Vince!

Hebrews 11:1
Faith means being sure of the things we hope for.
And faith means knowing that something is real
even if we do not see it.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Dear Rhonda and Vince....I know we don't know you guys very well, but please know that our hearts are breaking with you all...I'm praying for you to see glimpses of God's faithfulness new every morning. I'm praying for super natural strength for you all and healing for Vince in the strong name of Jesus. Thanks for letting us know how to pray as we walk through this season with you.

With love, Erica

Anonymous said...

My prayers go out to Vince and his family! Get well Vince! And remember, If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it


Psalm 18:1-2

I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn [a] of my salvation, my stronghold.

Anonymous said...

Hello Capaldi's from Sri Lanka! A mutual friend of ours sent me the link to your site for added prayer support, and I just wanted to let you know that prayers are coming from around the world, even while you're sleeping. I also wanted to stand with you in the absolutely positive knowledge that prayer can heal, and that prayer has healed many with all forms of serious illnesses, and prayer will heal again and again. Stay strong!