Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Still Waiting

We went to the doctor today and met Vince's Oncologist. He is really young and super nice. Hi name is Dr. Tap. He told us that they still don't know which type of cancer it is between the two, but hopefully he will know by the end of the week. It is extremely important to watch the cells and how they divide, in order to make the final diagnosis and proper chemo treatments. In the meantime, Vince is having a port (an implanted vascular access device (VAD), such as an implanted catheter or port. VADs are surgically placed in a large vein near the heart and can stay in place for long periods of time. A VAD eliminates the need to have smaller catheters repeatedly placed in arm veins) put in tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. He is not looking forward to it, I can tell you that, but it is necessary. The doctor told us that he will start chemo sometime next week. He told us so much and I hope I got all this straight as it gets quite overwhelming, but from what I understand he will go to the doctors office for a visit, about 6 hrs. of chemo, back home for the night, come back the next day for fluids and tests and then have 2-3 weeks recovery time, then in the hospital for 5 days and then 2-3 weeks recovery. That cycle will happen 4 x. At the end of that treatment, depending on the final cancer diagnosis, he will have radiation to his arm before the surgery to replace the bone with a rod, then 8 mths. of chemo after that. If it's the other type of cancer then chemo and radiation will be enough and no surgery needed. Of course, that's the one we are hoping for. The doctor did say it would take about 1 yr. to get through this though. He also told us that only about 1,000 cases per year are diagnosed for this type of cancer (not sure which one he was talking about, but he said it is rare.)

He is also going to have a bone scan, ultrasound of his heart, and a bone marrow biopsy, and all, I am assuming before his treatment begins. Again, he is bummed about having those done...as I'm sure we would all be, but again, it's to save his life and we are trying to keep him positive and look ahead to the goal. He said he will take it one day at a time. I think that's a great idea, since everyday the last two weeks has been filled with different obstacles each and every day and we never know what is going to happen, but he is doing great and I am so proud of him for handling this the way he has! Some days I know he is feeling better because he gets a bit grouchy with me and I am actually very happy about that! Now, that's my Vince! LOL!

I know that so many of you have been non-stop praying for Vince and my heart is so full of joy to know that God has placed each one of you ever so perfectly in our lives at this very moment and that gives us such a peace. Thank you again to those who have texted me at the very moment we are in the middle of waiting for a visit with the perfect Bible verse or prayer or encouragement. I am always sharing them with Vince, Bernadette and Jim and what a blessing to know we have YOU behind us!

God bless!

3 comments:

Melody said...

Thanks Ronda for the update!! I can't imagine what the waiting is like for you because for me it seems an eternity between your blogs, but it is always good to have more details so I can be praying more specifically for you & your family. Love You, Melody

Anonymous said...

Hello Vince

I have been in your shoes two times. its not easy. let me know if i can help with anything. mike rogers

anneke said...

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.