Saturday, April 18, 2009

Post Surgery Update! Sorry, It's a Long One!

I am just now getting some energy to write this post. It takes me a few days to recover from lack of sleep while we are in the hospital. I hate to leave Vince, so I spend every moment there with him. It's a mom thing:) Jim comes and stays most of the days as well, and the kids came to visit a few times, too. He has done extremely well and I know that the prayers are working because we can feel them. It's not something you can explain, it's just there. It's a peace and a comfort that hangs in the air and I know it's the Holy Spirit, and if I didn't have that, I'd be going crazy. This experience can really push you to places you don't really want to go.

Here is a photo of the incision, how cool is that!!! The doctor took out the original incision from the biopsy and made a whole new incision for the surgery, so at least it doesn't look like a road map:) He is not allowed to move his shoulder at all so it is basically velcro-d to a block that is strapped to his waist and a strap that goes around his shoulder and neck. He is only allowed to move his arm from the elbow down, not that he wants to, and is also able to move his hand in circles and up and down. He has two drains coming out and he will get those removed on Thursday when he goes back to the doctor for his 1 week check up.

The doctor told us that the "prosthesis" is made from cobalt chrome and put together kind of like Tinker Toys. Click here to see photos of the pieces they used. Dr. Eckhardt replaced the humerus from the shoulder down to just right above the elbow. Originally he thought he may have to replace the entire humerus, but the chemo and radiation helped to shrink the tumor so much that he had clean margins and didn't have to go that low. He was also able to save much more of his muscle than originally planned, and didn't cut any nerves either! Vince may have a much better range of motion than the doctor ever thought he would! I love when doctors are amazed! Hmm...I wonder why? LOL! Hopefully we will be able to get the xrays someday of his arm and I will post a photo of that for sure! Dr. Eckhardt had a twinkle in his eye as he told us the good news and he also thanked Vince for getting the treatments he recommended because he responded so well. I thought that was interesting he said that to him.

When Vince was in surgery we had such a peace about it. Even though we had to sit and wait about 5 hrs. those hours zoomed by and I just knew he would come out with flying colors! We had 9 of us in the waiting room which helped pass the time. Having our kids, grandson, Bernadette, Jim's mom, sister, and all the prayers that were being lifted up from all of you, helped so much! Vince is so loved!

When we got around the corner from Vince's room, we heard him throwing up, which really broke my heart, especially since I spoke with the anesthesiologist and I told him that he gets sick from anesthesia, but I guess sometimes that's what happens. Still, it made me mad. Thank goodness it was just that once. As we came in the room, my breath was taken away when I saw him because his head was so swollen and he was as white as a sheet! The doctor later told me that it was because of the position they had him in during the surgery, which went away within a few hours.
Vince was feeling very emotional as we approached his bed and as I started to tell him that his surgery went better than expected and that they didn't have to take as much muscle as Dr. Eckhardt thought and he was indeed able to save his elbow and that he will have a better range of motion because of it, he started to cry. Of course, we started to cry , too! I said, "I hope those are tears of joy?" and he shook his head "yes" and I asked him if he thought that he would wake up without an arm and he shook his head "yes" and he was crying even more. It broke my heart because even though I thought about the possibility, it really wasn't something I thought would even happen, so I had a peace about it, but obviously he didn't, which is totally understandable because it's happening to him! His tears flowed for quite some time. He later told me that he was so happy when he woke up from the surgery and saw his fingers and realized he still had his arm. Oh my gosh! What a relief he must have felt! Thank you Jesus for all your blessings for our son! We are so full of GRATITUDE and GRATEFULNESS! We give you the all the glory!

So, the journey continues...13 chemos to go and then he will be finished! It should take about 1 more year..so please, please, please, continue to pray for him! We are so looking forward to celebrating when it's over! Again, thank you in advance! I will keep you posted!

Thank you Chris for coming to visit Vince at the hospital those 2 nights! You are a great friend!

Thank you "blog followers" for always being here for us!

Thank you to all our family and friends for all the ongoing support and prayers that you endlessly give!

The bigger the challenge becomes, the bigger the platform for your God to do His amazing thing - maybe something bigger than you have ever seen Him do before!
~this was taken from a devotional that I read today

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Psalm 46:1


1 comment:

anneke said...

Truely amazing! I love you and your family so much and I know what you're going through. It breaks my heart sometimes, but so glad you are resting in God's peace and feeling the intercessions of others. Praying for you always.
a